AS220 Youth centers artmaking in a social justice context, culminating annually in the AfroFuturist inspired Futureworlds showcase. Every year our young people unite to present a youth-led, year long multimedia project that blends elements of art, popular culture and visionary fiction to reimagine a more just and equitable world free from systems of oppression. It has taken the form of a fashion show, festival, and a play.
“FUTUREWORLDS is a multimedia mixtape. A living collage. A walking anthology. A breathing literary magazine. The purpose of Futureworlds is to give young people the space and resources to create highly visible work that transforms the way we think about art, community and justice. We use design thinking as a framework to develop projects that not only create social awareness but that also offer potential solutions and/or ways of being.” –Anjel Newmann, AS220 Director of Programs
Photos by James Lastowski
Check out what it takes to build Futureworlds:
- A look back at Fall Showcase
- A Game Design for Futureworlds
- Virtual Showcase
- Youth Council Attends Anti-Vaping Design Thinking Workshop
- Installation at Dirt Palace
- Encore Performances of Futureworlds: Escape from Jollyworld
- Futureworlds: A Recap from Jollyworld
- Futureworlds featured on The Public’s Radio
- Its almost time to say Goodbye…
- Introducing the cast of Futureworlds: Escape from Jollyworld
Futureworlds: Escape from Jollyworld poster by Allam Mella.